Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Wild Animal Wednesday! The American Toad

This rainy weather reminds me again of our local amphibians.  A few weeks ago I discussed the Spring Peeper, but another common amphibian that can be seen in Fairfield County is the American Toad.  The American Toad (Bufo americanus) is not as adorable as the Peeper, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder right?  These toads help regulate the slug population, which I think is pretty cute!  They can be identified by the two kidney shaped bumps behind their head which are their parotid glands.  These glands are actually toxin filled which makes them unpalatable to many predators.  I've picked up many American Toads, so they can't hurt you, but I would advise you not to lick one (never tried it, but it dosen't sound like a good idea)!  These guys actually have one of the prettiest calls out of all of the amphibians around here.  Click on the video below to listen. 

No comments: